Delaware Division of the
Public Advocate

Utility Bill Assistance

Struggling to pay your utility bill? Have your bills increased? Below are some assistance programs that may be able to help you through tough times.

LIHEAP: The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is administered by Catholic Charities and also goes by the Delaware Energy Assistance Program (DEAP). For qualified individuals, LIHEAP can provide heating fuel assistance, crisis assistance, and summer cooling assistance. To learn more, contact Catholic Charities at 302-674-1782 (Kent County), 302-654-9295 (New Castle County), or 302-856-6310 (Sussex County). 

LIHWAP: The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) provides funding for water and wastewater bills. The LIHWAP website can be found here

Catholic Charities: Need energy assistance? The Catholic Charities Basic Needs program may be able to help. This program has several services to assistance customers in crisis. To schedule an appointment call 302-655-9624 (New Castle County), 302-674-1600 (Kent County), 302-856-9578 (Sussex County). An application can be found online here.  

Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP): The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control administers the WAP program. It offers free help for homeowners and renters by weatherproofing and improving the energy efficiency of the home. More information can be found here.

Energize Delaware: Also known as its formal name, the Sustainable Energy Utility, offers a multitude of programming for residential and nonresidential customers. In addition to their Home Performance with Energy Star program, they offer a Home Energy Counseling and Check-up program. Learn more about how their programs can assist you here

**Energize Delaware has also created an Energy, Utility, and Fuel Assistance Guide. This document provides a wealth of helpful resources that may be suitable for your needs. The directory can be found here.**

Other Funding:

In addition to the programs already mentioned, there are many other programs for financial assistance, weatherization, and energy efficiency. Non-profit organizations, such as First State Community Action Agency, and local churches may have programs and assistance available.

Finally, your utility may be able to help. Some utilities have funding programs set aside to help customers in need. Make sure to contact your utility and ask what might be available to assist you. 

As always, we’re here to help. Please visit our contact page or submit an online inquiry here.


Related Topics:  , , , , , , , , , , , ,